I wish I could create this page simply saying that "it's on the Internet
forever" and have people realize the safety issues at hand, however we all
know that is impossible. Therefore, I must go into great detail about safety on
the Internet and The Hive, because God knows someone will do something
completely asinine and blame us for it.
- Guess what? The Internet is public
- That's right, posting your phone number to your blog or a forum does not
guarentee that only your friends will see it. Sure, we have the ability to
make posts and your entire profile, blog, etc friends or family only, but
that won't stop most people from making public posts concerning their
private contact information or other things they do not want to be public.
- Everyone on the can read your profile, blog, and so forth.
- Just like the above, many people are surprised to find that when they post
something to a public blog or forum, or on their public profile, anyone on
the entire planet Earth, nearly 7 billion people, have the potential to read
that information -- end of story. That is not just The Hive, that goes for
the entire Internet, including our competition.
- People don't know you, and you don't know them
- To clarify, if you keep all your information private, nobody will know who
you are. The same goes the other way, just because someone says they are
someone, or of a specific gender, does not make it true.
- Harassment is against the law
- It really is, especially in more liberal countries. Therefore it should be
- Children under 13 are not allowed on The Hive
- Dead serious about that, it does not mean they can lie when they join, and
later admit they are under 13. If such an account is found, it should be reported.